Toposim Forums Forums Support, Development & Feedback Usability Alaska Mesh with Orbx

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Justin – Toposim 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

spacescooterdlr
    Participant

Pur based and installed world bundle. When using the Alaska and or Ultra Alaska mesh when Orbx I get airports on plateaus or in trenches. Also get some lakes on plateaus.

Help…

Danny

Hi Danny

Please review the UltraMesh Alaska install instructions. There are a few old Alaska BGL files that should be deleted and a couple of new BGL files that need to be renamed to have a BGX extension for ORBX compatibility, depending on what ORBX products you have installed.

After reviewing the instructions and completing those actions, if you have further questions or issues please let me know.

Thanks

Justin

spacescooterdlr
    Participant

Justin, thanks for the reply. I had followed the installation instruction. As I understand the instructions renaming the files in Ultra Alaska is to stop them loading when one runs the sim. I actually moved the files referenced in the Ultra Alaska installation instruction to another folder and did the same for the files referenced in the Alaska mesh. I still had and have the issues with airports and some lakes.

Danny

HI Danny,

OK, I was mistakenly assuming you were seeing these artifacts within the ORBX coverages, but elsewhere assuming the install was correct, the default hydrography and some airports, especially in the higher latitudes, are prone to errors when the light of more detailed and accurate mesh is applied. Those artifacts are the flatten parameters of the default water and airport background polygons, which are most often tied to an absolute elevation to conform to the low-res default terrain and consequently creates artifacts when high-res terrain is applied.

I have a process for dealing with these things – those are the ATAPs, but the custom work is meticulous and time-consuming. Part of the 2019 roadmap is more ATAPs to replace these troublesome default polygons. If you could note the affected airports and prioritize by severity and list them in the ATAP forum, it would speed along the forthcoming Alaska ATAP. The hydrography would be a separate matter from the airports. I’m not sure if there is a state-wide Alaska vector add-on product that would help, so it probably should be added to the things-to-do list.

Thanks

Justin

spacescooterdlr
    Participant

I must say I am not pleased with your product. Every place I have tried to use your mesh I have run into scenery problems. I have tried in Alaska, Washington, Orgeon, and Mexico. These locations included areas with Orbx scenery and/or P3D stock scenery. I have disabled all of the Topsim Mesh because of the conflicts.

If there is a refund process I would like a refund. If not, I understand. I will not be using nor recommending your product.

Regards,

Danny

Hi Danny,

Shoot, I hate when that happens. Fortunately it has been extremely rare over the 20 years I’ve been doing this.

First let’s see it we can fix your problems. You should not be seeing any conflicts in ORBX areas if you have those products layered above the TOPOSIM mesh. TOPOSIM products should be layered just above the Orlando city layer, and ORBX regions layered above the TOPOSIM continents layers. This way the ORBX coverage will have priority in those areas, and TOPOSIM mesh will show outside of the ORBX coverage areas.

Do you have any add-on vector products installed? The TOPOSIM mesh in most cases “meshes” perfectly with ORBX Global Vector and the Flight1 Ultimate Terrain vector products, either of which are highly recommended. This will pretty much eliminate any lakes, rivers, or coastlines that might be sitting on plateaus or creating cliffs where they shouldn’t be, as you may see with the default vector polygons.

That leaves only the occasional airport plateaus caused by the hard-coded flat-airport limitation, the oversized default airport property polygons, misplaced airports, or erroneously-oriented default runways. This has been an aggravating problem with high-resolution terrain mesh since FS2000. Most of these are not severe, but some are definitely jolting visually. These can be fixed with custom Airport Terrain Adjustment Packs (ATAPs), affected airports of which can be reported in the ATAP forums for future development consideration.

Other than the above, can you please be more specific about what scenery problems you have encountered to see if we can can find a solution. Could be a quick and easy fix.

If not, I will issue only the second or third refund requested in my history of FS development.

Thanks

Justin

spacescooterdlr
    Participant

Justin:

Thank you for the detailed reply and suggestions. I re-activated the Topsim mesh and moved it below the Orbx files in the scenery library. I also re-installed Orbx Vector. Those changes resolved most of the issues. I no longer see elevated lakes. I do have a few airports that have elevation issues, but, they do appear to be outside the Orbx areas.

I checked the installation instructions that are included with your mesh files and found no instruction to ensure the Topsim scenery is located below the Orbx scenery in the library. This instruction would have most likely prevented the trouble. It has been my understanding that mesh could reside anywhere in the scenery library because the sim would automatically load the highest resolution mesh available. Apparently, in the case of Topsim mesh that is not the case.

I will track the airports that have elevation issues that can not be corrected by Orbx Vector and will submit the information to the ATAPS forum.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Danny

Thanks Danny. I’m in the process of adding a section to this support area that will discuss the installation procedure and optionsin more detail, as you note the instructions in the zip files are pretty barebones basic.

I’ll go ahead and make this as resolved but feel free to return if you have further issues.

Thanks again

Justin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.