Toposim Forums Forums Support, Development & Feedback Usability GPS approaches broken after install, fixed when removed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Justin – Toposim 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

billfahle
    Participant

I downloaded the North America (southwest) Toposim for FSX Steam. After install, almost all GPS approaches are broken. Some will not load at all, some will load but not get all waypoints, etc. After I removed Toposim the problems went away.

Hi Bill

In 20 years of doing this stuff, first I’ve heard of anything like this. The terrain BGLs don’t make any any changes to your installation at all, just add the data through the terrain engine. No config files or anything like that are altered in any way, so . . .

I’m not all that familiar with the GPS system. Does it have a terrain component? Does it read the terrain database or come with it’s own? Does this happen at certain airports, or all of them? Does this happen with certain aircraft, or all of them so-equipped?

When you say the approaches are “broken,” what precisely is happening? Error message? Crash? Please be more specific, and I’ll defer to anyone else with more knowledge on this one because right now I have no clue what could be causing it.

I’ll continue looking in it. Meanwhile, I’m open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Justin

billfahle
    Participant

I apologize Justin, I was looking into this problem and trying different install/uninstall of various packages, and it happened to start working after the rebuild that happened when I took out toposim. It turns out it was a change before that which fixed the problem, but the scenery hadn’t updated. I narrowed it down to the French worldwide navaid update. http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html Sorry for the trouble.

billfahle
    Participant

Let me be clear: Toposim did not cause this, it was a navaids update. To be clear about your other questions, the symptom was that when I would go into the GPS (shift-3 in the steam gauge 172) and do direct (with the d arrow button) to KDFW, then hit the FPL button and then the PROC button to select an approach, rotating the knob down to GPS 17R, select it with the NETTS transition, and activate approach, it would only load part of the approach. In particular, the first waypoint in the approach was RW17R, followed by the missed approach waypoints. There are about four other waypoints in that approach as seen here: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1901/06039R17R.PDF Uninstalling the French worldwide navaids update fixed the issue. They monkey around with actual stock data, so it’s not surprising it caused an issue. This would happen with any approach that started at a terminal waypoint. Approaches like GPS 17C at the same airport work, which I attribute to it starting at a route waypoint/intersection (BOSSI) instead of a terminal waypoint. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1901/06039R17C.PDF I’m just including all this information for anyone else who experiences similar problems and searches the web.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  billfahle.

HI Bill

Thanks for the update and clarification!

Justin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.