Toposim Forums Forums Support, Development & Feedback Usability No changes after installing Canada

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    gilg
    Participant

Hello
      I bought North America and installed only Canada (FSX-SE). I was hoping to get a more realistic scenery of the Labrador Coast and Newfoundland. The standard FSX scenery misses most of all the thousands of islands populating the coast.
      I can see no difference at all after installation. Was I expecting too much or did I do something wrong? I followed the instructions and the scenery appears to have loaded correctly.

Hi Mark

Do you recall seeing the “Building database for new scenery files” message after you added the path to Scenery Library? If you can’t remember try toggling the scenery layer off, then on again and note if the above dialog presents when reenabling the TOPOSIM North America layer.

Another thing to check is you Mesh Resolution slider. Make sure it’s at least 10m.

Next, we’re going from 76m default to 19m Toposim, so the improvement will not be as drastic as going from, say, 612m in much of the default world to 19m. The improvement will be more subtle and seen closer to your viewpoint, as the hard-coded visual range of higher LODs is shorter to avoid performance issues.

Much also depends on the prevailing local terrain. Flat regions and rolling hills will show a more subtle improvement than jaggy mountainous areas.

I’ll make a quick slideshow to give an idea of what you should expect going from 76m to 19m terrain.

Justin

Here’s what you should generally expect —

Before and After

Thanks

Justin

gilg
      Participant

Hi Justin
        Thank you for replying. Yes, I noticed that message. Also, I now increased the mesh resolution to 10 m.

I was probably expecting too much. The improvements in the two slider pictures seem to me very marginal. I wasn’t really looking for that, but for a more realistic representation of land masses. I’ll try to upload two pictures of the surroundings of Nain to show what I mean. There are a lot of islands missing in the scenery, which are really important to understand the area. Also, coast lines are often very schematic. I hoped that mesh would take care of that, not just improve the terrain defined by FSX.

Mark

Hi Mark

The default coastlines are notoriously innaccurate, which often causes anomalies due to their flattening characteristics, overriding the terrain.

These are dealt with by using either Ultimate Terrain Canada or Orbx Global Vector. This will create much more accurate shorelines, as well as more detailed inland water bodies, islands, roads, powerlines, etc.

The Toposim Mesh is one component of a total improvement, and works hand-in-hand with either of the above vector products to create a much more realistic environment.

Thanks

Justin

gilg
        Participant

Hi Justin
          Okay, I wasn’t aware of that and I appreciate your clarifications. I’ll have a look at these products. And I assume that my mesh installation is correct.

Thank you, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your orders. I noticed that you didn’t take advantage of the Buy One Get On FREE on either order. One other customer has reported that the BOGO isn’t working, which is odd because it seems to work fine when I test it. Can’t seem to duplicate the problem on this end.

Upon first viewing your cart after adding the Continent, were you not presented with a screen to choose your free product?

Appreciate any help in troubleshooting . . .

Thanks

Justin

ADDENDUM – I owe you two continents. Please let me know which ones so I can manually add them to your downloads.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Justin - Toposim. Reason: addendum
          gilg
          Participant

Hi Justin

That’s very kind, thank you. Yes, I was looking for that, but didn’t see a way. I probably can’t help you, I don’t remember exactly what happend. Maybe I just was too hurried and missed it somehow. I’ll let you know about my wish list.
            I’m very excited with the results. After getting Ultimate Terrain Canada I made a flight into one of the Baffin Island fjords in low weather – fantastic. Then I also got South America from ORBX and flew to Angel Fall in the Venezuela Tepuis- it was there!
            Thank you also for your excellent and friendly support. You really care about what you are doing!

Have a nice evening,
            Mark

gilg
            Participant

Hi Justin
              Europe and Africa would be nice, if you can do that.
              Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

You should be good to go. Simply log into Toposim Distribution Center and click My Account, Download tabs. You should find your new downloads there.

Let me know if you have any problems

Thanks

Justin

gilg
              Participant

Great, thank you Justine!

Regards, Mark

gilg
                Participant

Hi Justin
                  I have now accumulated nearly all earth files – little by little …

The only region which is missing is Middle East. All countries together amount to $ 39.70, which is more than the whole Eastern Hemisphere Bundle! Would you agree to let me download the Middle East countries for free?

Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark,

Private message sent . . .

Thanks

Justin

gilg
                  Participant

Justin, I answered to your private message. You didn’t receive it?

Mark

baltora
                    Participant

hi justin I bought 2 toposim products on steam recently and because i liked them so much checked out your site, very good service you are giving here, just read this post to see how customer service is at toposim and its realy good, Made me buy the world pack immediately, thing is now i paid double for west europe and the careaban , dont want my money back but can i get a voucher for something else? or is it ok to sell those 2 packs ive now got double to a friend?

btw i read on steam toposim storepage asia people complained that the hymalaya was giving odd spikes has that been resolved yet? if so better put a notice behind that post as it gives a bad impression it almost convinced me not to buy the world set but when i read u actively remove such faults i was sure its ok to buy it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/677995/FSX_Steam_Edition_Toposim_South_Asia_AddOn/

mark_rush
                      13 products in account
                      10 reviews
                      Not Recommended
                      Posted: 11 December, 2017
                      Beautiful and worthwhile addition in many ways, however many of the higher mountains don’t render correctly, Everest included. Even from a distance, Everest appears as one big glitch, a cluster of spikes and dropoffs. Very disappointing, and at this price point I expect better. ”

[quote quote=996]Hi Justin

That’s very kind, thank you. Yes, I was looking for that, but didn’t see a way. I probably can’t help you, I don’t remember exactly what happend. Maybe I just was too hurried and missed it somehow. I’ll let you know about my wish list.

Thank you also for your excellent and friendly support. You really care about what you are doing!

Have a nice evening,
                      Mark[/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.