Toposim Forums Forums Support, Development & Feedback Installation Canada Toposim from Steam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    unclejoe.cda
    Participant

I just purchased your Toposim Canada package through the Steam store for FSX Steam Edition.  Steam does an automatic install as DownLoaded Content (a “DLC” folder) with all their purchased addons instead of placing them in Addon Scenery folder as one would do with other addons.  The Steam installation of this product of yours places the entire continent into one single scenery folder thereby causing it to try to load all the Provinces (4.03 GB) at one time —  OOM error!  How would I correct Steams’ install error and break it up into sections, regions, or groups as you intended for it to be (would each Province’s .BGL file function properly and fully in a scenery folder of its own without need for any corresponding files?)

Hi Uncle Joe

Actually, FSX-SE isn’t loading ALL the files in the folder into memory, only the ones near where you’re starting, so my best guess here is to investigate the airport where you’re starting and any other airport in the vicinity.  If you can, change your starting airport and see if the problem still happens and we can go from there.

Thanks

Justin

unclejoe.cda
    Participant

I had not tried another airport, but I do know that as soon as I de-selected the Toposim Canada scenery everything loaded fine. De-selecting anything (and everything) other than Toposim Canada did not stop the OOM problem. I was starting at Friday Harbor (my default), so British Columbia would have been the only part close enough to be loading as you suggest.

unclejoe.cda
    Participant

OK;  I just broke out the single British Columbia .bgl file, put it in a scenery folder, and flew that one by itself with the same plane and airport as the original problem. Things appeared to be fine. (with the caveat that unless that was my hometown area, I wouldn’t know if it was working properly or not. Right?)  If you can tell me the scenery folder structure as the Canada set was intended to be constructed (per the document files?), then I can try to rebuild it into that, see if has any loading problems, and, if none, then assume it’s working.

Hello

Each continent has it’s own folder, i.e., NorthAmerica, SouthAmerica, Africa, Europe, Asia, etc.  Each continent folder has a scenery subfolder into which every BGL for that continent goes.

What happens when you go to an airport, in, say, Ontario?

Which airport is throwing the error? Is it a default airport or addon? Which other addons do you have active in the area?

Justin

unclejoe.cda
    Participant

1.  That is how this Canada package came from Steam; all Provinces in one scenery subfolder. But that is not how my United States Toposims are constructed; these are in separate folders by region (West Coast, Northeast, Central, etc.) similar to how the Doc manual.pdf’s included with the Canada package show it broken up into region folders (i.e. Cordillera, East, North, Interior).   [Note that I cannot use more than 2 or 3 US Toposim regions simultaneously without error.]  As mentioned above, when I took one Province .BGL file (Bristish Columbia) out of the set and loaded it as scenery alone without all the other Provinces and used the same plane (RealAir Duke B60 V2) and the same airport (default Friday Harbor), it seemed to work without error.

2.   I cannot attempt to replicate at a different airport with the same variables now because I have removed Steam’s installation configuration of the full Canada set in order to identify the source of the original OOM error.

3.   My attempt to use the Toposim Canada as installed by Steam was at the default airport of “Friday Harbor” (This is my default startup airport for all initial flights with all equipment/addons). When I received the OOM error (the very first time using the Canada set), I then began turning off all other scenery – addon and default – as well as autogen settings, AI traffic, etc. to no avail.   It is simply a fact that without the full set of Toposim Canada loaded in scenery, everything works without error — With loading the full set of Toposim Canada with or without other scenery (addon and/or default) causes the OOM error. *Apparently, from only one test, loading a single [Province].BGL scenery file with or without other scenery and addons does work without error.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.