Toposim Forums Forums Intro to Toposim Pre-Sales Questions Toposim v. Pilot’s

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    snpower
    Participant

Hello,

Can you flesh out the differences in your products versus theirs? I’m mainly interested in North America, if that has any bearing on the answers. Thanks!

Hello . . .

In many instances the end result should be nearly identical. Biggest contrast is in the organization of the files, download, and coverage options. For instance, you mention North America. Pilot’s doesn’t offer Continents, Regions, or individual countries and provinces. It’s the whole world or nothing. You can currently get North America free with the purchase of any other continent.

Both product lines offer 19m coverage throughout North America. Toposim only, though, covers the contiguous US states in 10m, as well as 10m covering Mexico. Additionally, New Zealand is 10m in Toposim.

Pilots contains some bathymetric data, Toposim currently has released no bathymetry.

Pilots has the global AFM tool to address airport plateaus with mixed results. Toposim offers custom solutions on request or through commissioned work.

Finally, Pilots FSGlobal products run about $75-90, while Toposim’s Planet Earth Bundle is currently about $50.

Hope this helps . . .

Justin

snpower
    Participant

Thank you very much. I’ll piggy-back with another question: If I buy the global product OR the continental US product – would I see much difference if I then added the Virgina/New England mesh(es) ?

Hello,

I presume you’re talking about the UltraMesh? Yes, you’ll see a lot of difference and great detail — from close up. It’s best for Ultralight, Bush Flying, and other low-altitude operations. You can even walk around as an avatar, or drive a Humvee off-road.

The UltraMesh is 2m resolutoin, and has a much smaller radius of display than the lower resolutions, so if you’re above, say 3000′ AGL you probably won’t notice the difference. But if you’re skimming the treetops in an ultralight, yes, you’ll notice a great difference.

It all depends on how you use the simulator. If you like flying Big Iron at FL35, you wont get much benefit from enhanced Terrain mesh. But the closer to the ground and the slower you go, the more benefit you’ll see with very high resolution UltraMesh.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Justin

AeroRamer
    Participant

So, if you have Toposim you do not need Pilot’s FS Global? I have Toposim Southeast and West Coast.

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response–a once-a-decade battle with a nasty flu bug–but yes, the two products are pretty much mutually-exclusive. Use one or the other set, either FSGlobal or the Toposim Planet Earth Bundle, but using both will not offer benefit because one would in most instances be redundant.

There are parts of the US, I think, mostly in the plains, where Toposim is uniformly 10m, while FSGlobal is of lower-resolution. The reminder of the world I’m not sure of the FSGlobal resolution. but I don’t think it’s uniformly 19m as in Toposim.

But yes, the two products are direct competition, and perform the same function, so there is no mutual enhancement as would be the case between, say, Toposim Continents and Orbx Global Vector, because the two products bring two different, complmentary functions into the composite end-result display.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Justin

AeroRamer
    Participant

Now I know which way to go. Thanks for the detailed information.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by AeroRamer.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.